Monday, October 19, 2015

Cold and Flu Season is Here! Recipe- Hand Sanitizer.

We all know that in Michigan we have 4 seasons, we should add one more "Cold & Flu Season" (perhaps also "Construction Season" to make it 6). Many of us are constantly using hand sanitizer that we pick up at the store. With so many major brands/off-brands to offer, how do we choose? Our family chooses to make their own, it saves money and it's much safer for our bodies.

Often times the sanitizers we purchase at the store are alcohol and chemical laden, which is actually not good for our skin or our bodies. Sure, it gets rid of the germs 99% of the time, but it's still not good for us. Consequently, I went on a search for some recipes for hand sanitizers! I love making my own and I am confident that it is safe and effective.

This is the best I found with a 2% essential oil dilution from a facebook group I am a member of:

What you need:
  • 1 2oz glass spray bottle (found at Harvest Health)
  • 1 1/2 oz Witch Hazel (found at Harvest Health; that's 3/4 of the bottle, save yourself the measurement!)
  • 2 tsp Olive Oil (carrier oil)
  • 10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (found at Harvest Health)
  • 8 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil (found at Harvest Health) 
What you do: 
  • Fill the 2 oz spray bottle 3/4 full or 3 tbsp Witch Hazel.
  • Measure 2 tsp olive or almond oil and pour into the spray bottle (we only had olive so I used it).
  • Put 10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil into the bottle. 
  • Put 8 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil into the bottle. 
  • Shake it before each use to make sure it is mixed. 
I carry this with me in our diaper bag at all times. I use it after every diaper change if there isn't a sink close by, and so far I am pleased!

If you try this, please let me know how it works for you:) 

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment